We believe that seafarers’ mental health and well-being is critical. That’s why we created a list of free online resources from various organizations to help you cope with the current challenges surrounding the industry.
1. Support for seafarers by Sailors Society
Sailors’ Society is a personal lifeline for seafarers both onboard and ashore. This global network offers practical, emotional, spiritual, wellness and crisis support. They have recently expanded their support service by providing seafarers and their families with an emergency COVID-19 helpline which is entirely confidential and available 24/7.
- Emergency Covid-19 helpline: +1 938 222 8181
- Covid-19 chat line: www.wellnessatsea.org/covid-19
2. Supporting the welfare of seafarers - ISWAN
The International Seafarers’ Welfare and Assistance Network (ISWAN) works to promote and support the welfare of seafarers all over the world. One of the direct welfare services they provide to seafarers is their 24-hour, multilingual helpline SeafarerHelp.
- Confidential helpline +44 20 7323 2737
- Email [email protected]
3. How to Cope with Coronavirus - Podcast
Listen to a 13-minute podcast by Sailors Society, titled “How to cope with Coronavirus” to get lots of practical advice on how to manage your mental and emotional well-being throughout this crisis. In this podcast, you will learn how to look after your body and mind to beat fear and anxiety.
4. Wellness at Sea Relaxation - Podcast
Life at sea can be difficult and challenging: you are away from your loved ones, you might not have someone to talk to, or you are just tired. This 8-minute podcast contains short relaxation exercises to help you cope with a crisis on board and calm your mind down.
5. Psychological first aid tips Poster
Prompted by the recent tragedies involving crew members onboard cruise vessels, International Seafarers’ Welfare & Assistance Network – ISWAN, has produced a poster with Consultant Clinical Psychologist Dr Pennie Blackburn – Psychological First Aid. The poster offers psychological first aid tips to help seafarers identify and cope with signs of stress in themselves and others.
6. Good Mental Health - Infographics
There are some simple steps seafarers can take to take care of their mental health while on board.
- Download the Steps to Positive mental Health Infographics to learn how to practice mindful breathing onboard.
- Download the Steps to Positive Mental Health (BACES) Infographics to understand the main components of your well-being
7. Fitness Onboard Merchant Ships - Guidelines
8. The Secret of Becoming Mentally Strong - TEDx Talks
Everyone can build mental strength, but most people don’t know how to do it. In her TEDx Talks, Amy Morin (a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist) shares the best strategies for overcoming adversity and building mental muscle.